The LCCN: The Library of Congress Control Number. It is free and can be obtained fairly quickly―usually within a day or two via email back to you. You must have your ISBN to get it. Once you have the LCCN, it will cover case bound (hard, paper, eBook), you don’t need another for your title.
It is a two-step process:
- Go to Google or directly to the LCCN website.
- Enter: “Library of Congress book number” and click on “Search.”
- “Preassigned Control Number Program” will appear.
- Or go to www.LOC.gov.
- Click on “Open an Account” if appropriate. Otherwise click on “EPCN Login,” for an existing account if you have other titles already registered.
- If “New Account,” read instructions, and then click on “Application to Participate.”
- There is a note at the top, “Click here for Instructions,” for assistance.
- Fill out and click on “Submit.” Within a few days, no more than a week, you will be e-mailed an account number and a password providing you access to the appropriate application form.
- WATCH FOR THIS eMAIL–you can’t complete the process until you respond to it. This is Step 2.
If you have an account already, the “EPCN Login” button brings you to the form requiring your Account ID and Password. Fill out and click on the “Sign On” button and fill out form. A final note to those with accounts already: The password expires after 60 days. A new one can be created using thefollowing instructions. It must:
- Be at least eight characters in length;
- Contain at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number;
- Not contain consecutive repeated characters;
- Be recreated following these steps if you wait to use it over 60 days;
- Not be changed more than once per day;
- Not be changed to any of the 11 most recently used passwords.
If the password has expired, just write the old one out and write the new one under it, changing just one of the numbers or letters. Keep a record so that you know what has been changed, thus avoiding repeating the old number by chance.
Your LCCN will come to you via email. Print it out. Put in it a Folder for all your Publisher Info. Create a Folder on your computer—put it there as well.